Below are the steps and details on how to configure the custom server for download and upload testing.
1) Another machine (PC or Mac) with Apache HTTP Server v2.2 and above installed.
Should work with web server that comes with Mac OS.
2) PHP must be enabled in Apache HTTP Server.
Configuring Custom Server:
3) Under the apache webserver root folder, create a folder named "speedtest"
4) Create a file named "512MB.zip" (must be 500 MB or larger). This can be any existing file or you can create a new file.
On OS X, the file can be generated using the command via terminal app:
dd if=/dev/random of=512MB.zip bs=1 count=500000000
On Windows, the file can be generated using the command line:
fsutil file createnew 512MB.zip 500000000
You can download the file from the following link: wifiscanner.com/speedtest/512MB.zip
Once the file is generated, move it to "speedtest" folder.
Make sure file location is:
6) Once all setup is complete verify download via browser by navigating to below.
If browser prompts to you to save the file or downloads it, then it is working correctly.